Article Info

GPON Interoperability Smokescreen

fsan.gifFSAN has completed their first GPON interoperability testing. Interoperability of GPON systems is important, since the ITU standard ultimately should yield systems that interface more smoothly than the loosely defined GE-PON specification.


The shocker? The three biggest names in GPON- Alcatel, Motorola, and Tellabs – didn’t even participate. How can you hold a real interoperability event without including the companies responsible for 90% of deployment?

FSAN is a carrier led group, with Verizon and AT&T being major players. Both have significant plans to deploy FTTH. Anyone know why they wouldn’t demand that their key vendors attend an interop event?

Update – A reader has informed me “this is the 3rd gpon interop…the big guys did it at closed door interops…this one was open door…the idea being a more PR oriented one…” OK, that makes sense.

Hat Tip: FTTHblog

Discussion

Comments are disallowed for this post.

  1. Even the major carriers realize what a bad business decision it would be for vendors controlling approximately 90% of market share to willingly participate in operability trials with the vendors fighting for a foothold in the market by persuing the remaining 10%. While it is standard procedure for the large carriers to sponsor such trials, and for them to lay down heafty requirements for their main vendors, at this stage it would be akin to asking them to carve off a piece of future market share in a burgeoning market, something they can’t afford to do while at the same time providing the carriers their best pricing on GPON gear.

    Posted by FGF | September 11, 2006, 12:26 PM