Back on the road next week to visit some companies on the west coast, and attend OFC Tuesday and Wednesday. Here’s what I’m focusing on during my visit to the biggest optical communications event of the year.
- Optical Transport Pricing Trends and Chinese Competition. I think this is just a matter of time, and I’ve written on this in the past.
- Optical Modules and the success of offshoring. Every module company is losing money. Every one is also sending their manufacturing offshore. Chinese startups are proliferating. It’s obviously a business that will ultimately recover. How will it shake out?
- Enterprise data connectivity. FTTH and FTTP is already big for residential connectivity, but Enterprises are primarily stuck with PDH connectivity (Frame Relay, PPP). Will PDH continue to survive or how will it evolve?
- Where are China and India with FTTH deployment? This is the big hockey stick people are waiting for with GE-PON. Plus, confirm my suspicions on why is Korea taking so long.
- Look for cool things and generate new ideas. See old friends and make new ones. If you have a company you think fits the bill here and would like to be profiled, contact me.
Any other ideas? What am I missing? Fire away!