If there was any doubt that home networks for media sharing are a complete mess, take a look at this illustration.
It’s from an article on Russell Beattie.com. Everyone agrees fixing this is one of the big opportunities for the decade. The more we think about this the more likely we believe the solution look like this:
- Central Depository of media on extranet, use big fat low-latency pipe to deliver.
- Local storage only for mobile applications or for slow link bandwidth caching.
- Subscription Based Model but what I call Atomic Content – everything gets unbundled to the least common denominator (image, song, episode, chapter) Steve Jobs needs to get on board.
- Multiple Physical Layer Technologies. (WiFi, Wireless USB, GigE, MoCA, HPNA)
- Vertical integration of hardware, software, media.
- Large Cap companies with the $$$ to market to the consumer.
- And the most controversial…. DRM everywhere.
Will it stay like this forever? No. But this is how it will start.